Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Things don't always go right.

So the plan today was.... 55 miles. I did a stunning 10 1/2. Not what I had in mind.
Lets just say sometimes your not meant to ride your bike. For me today was that day.

The kids are on spring break. Three kids, instead of one at home with Mommy. So yes she needs a little break of her own. I get the green light to go for the ride, I just need to take the kids out sometime so she can have a little alone time. No problem, I'll take the shopping and after the ride we can go to the park or something. Ethan is sigh up for "T" ball and we can go that.

The kids and I get the shopping done. Lots of "can we get this" or "can we get that". Were done soon enough. Get home put everything away, get them feed. Time to go for a ride.

Today was a nice day 54 degrees, with a north west wind around 10 mph.
The route was a north west route so I'd ride into the wind and have a tail wind to get home.
That is if I made it that far. Which as you can guess I didn't. UCK!!!

So here comes the good part. Leave the house just get out of town and going down a hill that you can hit 40 mph coasting. But I not going to coast, I'm going to pedal. That's when it happens.
The crank locks up will not turn, WTF! Not wanting to break something I stop. Yea if you have a problem with your bike and it won't pedal STOP!
Look over the bike, chain is locked up somewhere, but whats the problem. I take out the rear wheel and then I see it. The cassette lock ring is coming loose locking up the rear wheel.
I do what I can to get it back on with out to much luck. "Hand tight" is all I can do. Nurse it back to the house. Made it back without any problems. But I was taking it very easy.

Once home I cashed it in, Went to the park with the kid's. Not a complete loss. I was daddy this afternoon.

No comments: